Sunday, September 27, 2009

Get your kicks...

On route 66! Dad and I decided to detour off I-40 on our way to the Grand Canyon and take historic route 66 for a while. I'm so glad we did - I feel like it's not really a cross-country road trip without swinging by 66. That's how people did it before interstates came along! We cranked the oldies station (um, I mean classic), rolled down the windows, and enjoyed the Arizona sun. We also did a drive-by of downtown Williams, AZ, located on route 66. Talk about stepping back in time! Although a bit tourist-trappy, it also had such a charming, old-town feel...it was almost like nothing had changed over the decades (minus the Safeway grocery store and Starbucks!). There was even a bar & grill called Cruiser's that was blaring all of Mom's favorite oldie but goodie songs...she would have been dancing in the street! We are headed for Tusayan, AZ for the night, which is about a mile south of the Grand Canyon entrance...should work out well if I get motivated to drag Dad out of bed for a Grand Canyon sunrise! :)

1 comment: